I'm not sure what more is to be said about that except it totally blows. This is me getting pumped up to go run a measly 2 miles today. :) I literally haven't run outside since...oh, probably last spring a few times. I've got my iPod shuffle that I love and I'm going to a new place to run; besides that I don't know how to make it any less dreadful.
I'm running to increase my cardio for my BJJ and to lose weight; I'll just keep that in mind. BJJ and weight, BJJ and weight. ;) I'm doing this for my goals!!!! Go Lynn!!!
4 comments:
I hate running too! But music is salvation and the only way I can keep it up.
Don't forget that jits is primarily an anaerobic activity, so while LSD (long slow distance) workouts are great, and while developing aerobic fitness is still a big part of the overall picture, you also want to focus on sport-specific workouts.
If you can, try crossfit (www.crossfit.com) and do their daily workout, even if there's no crossfit school nearby (or like me if the budget doesn't permit)... lots of plyometrics develop explosiveness and strength and muscle endurance... I also got a lot out of BJ Penn's book "MMA- The Book of Knowledge" because he covers some good workouts you can do yourself.
I hear you on the weight issue. I should be about 20 lbs lighter than I am right now and I will be your sister in sucking it up (and in) this summer :)
Funny you should mention CrossFit; that's how I found BJJ. In November I decided I was just not healthy like I wanted to be so I started going to a CrossFit gym (and of course my lower back stopped hurting me sitting at work and I stopped getting winded walking stairs or carrying groceries). I was getting vastly stronger and my clothes were fitting differently, but I kept seeing the BJJ classes going on over on the mats(small satellite classes from the BJJ gym that I ended up going to) and in March I decided to try it. Of course jits took over my life and I haven't been back to CrossFit since, but after my 2 schools (BJJ and CF) merge into a larger facility (scheduled 6/1) and figure out their schedules, etc, then I plan to get the CrossFit back into the weekly schedule. I say that CrossFit changed my life and it gave me a fitness base and the confidence to even go to jits. So, yeah, CrossFit rules! Here's my CF gym's WOD http://crossfitreno.blogspot.com/
Try doing sprints every few days. Warm up, then sprint all out for 30 sec to 1 minute; walk/jog to recover for 30 sec to 2 minutes; repeat sprint/recover for 5 to 10 minutes; then cool down. One, it's usually shorter than LSD; two, it hits the anaerobic hard; three, it may actually be better for weight loss because of the intensity. I need to get back to doing this, too; I'm sucking wind too often in class recently...
Yeah, I plan to mix it up. The short sprints should really start carving off the fat. :)
We're all in this together. ;)
Post a Comment