2009-05-28

BJJ More technical, less strength/weight

So, I'm kind of in a place where I weigh vastly more than the other 4 women that I have a chance to roll with. For example, I weigh ~168 right now and I'm sure the heaviest female I roll with is probably <140. I don't want my technical game to suffer because I can get away with some pure strength/weight things...so I'm thinking I've really gotta just start rolling with the guys. It's tough though since it's been no-gi for the last few months at my school I don't know which guys are which belt (kinda wanna roll with more experienced, less-flaily, guys so neither of us get hurt) and of course they all outweigh me, but I've just gotta put the time in. I just wanted to understand my positional goals and a few submission defenses before rolling with the guys regularly since I'm pretty sure (and many women's blogs I've read pretty much second this) that I'll spend a lot of time just incrementally working my positional transition with the guys while defending submissions off. And, of course, that is part of the process. :)

So, in the near future my goal is to become more technical and less strength-based by #1-learning and training with the gi (start on Saturday 5/30) and #2-rolling with the guys.
I also just have to lose more weight; intelligently - lose fat. Back to CrossFit for me. My grand plan is to go back on 6/10 and a really good friend of mine will be coming to her first CrossFit that night too so we'll be going together.

6 comments:

Georgette said...

I'm with you in spirit... I need to lose some weight, and it's not easy with all the fun summery social events and foods floating around. I vowed last night (after dinner at a friend's, consisting of gnocchi, pesto, salad, garlic bread, and chocolate-chip banana cake for dessert- groan) that today is the first of a 3-week stretch of "pretending to make weight" ... in other words, lean chicken, spinach salads, skim milk, and no treats, no snacks, no fun and lots of working out. Wanna pair up with me? You can eat whatever you want (don't have to mimic my nonsense) but we can be motivating partners :) Let's see how much we can work out and how much we can lose in 3 weeks.

Lynntropy said...

Georgette, I'm totally with you!!

Let's do it. 21 days is perfect. I'm choosing my Final Weigh In on June 23 in the a.m.
This morning I was 171.6...no good!!

Here are my reasons:
#1 - I am just too heavy (and it ain't all muscle)
#2 - I really want to buy a 2nd Gi and I don't want it to be the size of the one I wear now; so I have to lose weight to EARN myself a smaller Gi. :)
#3 - I'll have less weight to drag around.
#4 - I'll just plain FEEL better about myself.

I like to use the S.M.A.R.T goals format, so here's mine.

SPECIFIC:
Lose fat to fit into a smaller Gi and treat myself to a new Gi ;)

MEASURABLE: Lose 9 lbs; goal weight is 162.6.

ACTIONABLE:(THE PLAN)
-CALORIES:
<1500 calories/day
eat often
protein shake after workouts
semi-paleo food choices
-BJJ: MON,WED,SAT
-Muay Thai: TUEorTHU (usually TUE)
-Crossfit WED,FRI
-Run outside: SAT
-Rest: TUEorTHU and SUN (2 days)

REALISTIC:
Losing 3lbs/week is Realistic.

TIMELY:
June 23 (21 days)

Lynntropy said...

So, I really wanted a sandwich for lunch, but I'm going with a salad; heavy on the turkey, no dressing (lots of pepperoncinis...so addicted to them right now). Pepperoncinis are the new salad dressing.

How's the chicken and spinach treatin' ya? I figure you got another few days before you're sick of it. ;)

Georgette said...

By the way I love the SMART format; haven't heard of that before but I'm definitely happy to apply it!

I was good until this weekend-- we had a houseguest, so we went out to eat last night and tonight, plus I went out for breakfast with my husband this morning and "had to" eat my bad breakfast (a honey-oatbran muffin and a Belgian waffle with syrup...) I was doing good as of yesterday morning, but I tried on a suit tonight (packing for a work trip tomorrow) and my rump is uncomfortably snug. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be zero-workout days, so I better be doubly good about what I eat.

Sending you motivational thoughts :)

Lynntropy said...

G,
A gym I used to go to had a banner that said, "A goal without a timeline is just a dream." and that always stuck with me. Then, in February I was thinking that I really needed to identify my goals for going to CrossFit and I found SMART. There are many versions of it including some where the A is Attainable or Actionable; so you can tweak it for what you need. Glad to share that.

Yeah, a houseguest or any out of towners or really any special occasion will blow the food discipline; that's okay you'll get right back into it. Tomorrow is CrossFit for me (jits is cancelled). I'm not losing weight quickly, but I'm not gaining either and I am technically PMSing so to just not be gaining right now means I'm doing good. :)

It has helped knowing that you're doing it too. I chose a salad instead of a sandwich the only days that I went out to lunch last week because our 21 day thing was in the back of my mind. However, it didn't stop me from trying some organic mint oreo's at Whole Foods today, but luckily I didn't like them so I tossed 'em. I hit up Whole Foods to get some tuna salad and some other healthy things for the next few days. Eating right is $$$$$.

Oh god, I just noticed you're going on a work trip tomorrow. I'm so sorry, I can never eat right on a work trip; it sounds like this, "Wow, that airplane trip totally blew, what should I eat? Oh yeah, I should eat some lean meat and some vegies. But, my life sucks on business trips, poor me, I hate traveling for business, poor me, shouldn't I just have some of that chinese food instead, it's already cooked. Poor me." So, if that's you too try to be strong and only completely cave once per day instead of just saying screw it on the whole trip. ;)
With you in spirit. ;)

Georgette said...

Gawd, this work trip SUCKED. I can't tell you how many bad food choices I made. Between 2 hour delays at the airport just getting out of Austin... to roomservice after dinner... to breakfast buffets (I ate enough biscuits to fulfill my caloric needs for two days) and then still eating in the airport AND at home last night....

*sigh*