2009-06-22

BJJ 6/22 My first real *Flow*

5:15 women's Marc
Flow
Rolling at the end of the women's class today I had my first real moments of Flow during BJJ. It was amazing. I knew that was how BJJ is supposed to feel, but today was the first time that all the components of Flow were present at the same time for me; most importantly characterized by the loss of consciousness of self and a distorted sense of time.
For one submission and two positional transitions I had a clear goal and I was relaxed, breathing, and executing. Time didn't seem as frantic and crazy as usual. I saw the opportunity for a move and I saw the path of it in front of me and I started working down that path by the numbers and the movements fell into place. To get the tap I was calmly increasing the pressure; I wasn't stressed or angry or frantic. It was so weird, I just knew where we were going and kept working the path. It was really amazing because it just felt fluid and natural.

Choke
Today we learned the papercutter choke, which I'll just say I find awkward. I did take a lot away from the lesson just from Marc's general attitude about head pressure and body placement (where chest to chest) and Gary showed this from North/South the other day so I can see the versatility of it. I think that I am beginning to notice the difference in style between Kelly and Marc. Of course, I know it's incredibly difficult to tell what a higher belt teacher is doing or not doing or changing in order to help facilitate your learning, but they both feel different.

No comments: