Strengthening my lower back and all the surrounding core structures should probably get my lower back to shut up. My back doctor and P.T. are both on board with this, so here we go.
To this end, I've started Rippetoe's Starting Strength Novice program.
The books and dvd:
-Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
-Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe
-Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training DVD
I've talked about these books before, so this time I'll just say it is the sheer level of detail on each lift that really got me into them. Last night was my B workout so I found my working weight for the Power Clean. Coach Adam was there, who conveniently just got SST barbell certified. I think learning this lift is a little bizarre because it's a power lift, meaning you've gotta get some acceleration going. Luckily Coach Adam basically knows approximately where I should start and about how much I can lift from coaching CrossFit on days I was there. For Workout A, his guess was spot on for my squats and for my deadlift so I went with his suggestions for Power Clean as well.
There's really no "go through the motions slowly" type of ramp-up. You have to get a little weight on the bar for it to behave properly (i.e. be accelerated). Of course if you put too much weight on you're headed for disaster. Once you pick a weight that you think will behave correctly and is the magic not-too-heavy but not-too-light you just gotta go for it. I've been working on the timing of it a bit with a ball. Last night was time to move to a bar. So, I started with a 15K bar and went up in little tiny increments from there. That old sternoclavicular tear doesn't like shrugging, at all. So I kept it light and kept working on getting that shoulder to move. I think I challenged it just enough to know that it's there, but not too much. That golden place of getting that shoulder unstuck. This morning my traps are a little 'good' sore and my sternum is a tad 'hello' sore so I probably hit it just about right.
Sweet.
2 comments:
Lynn, sounds like an excellent workout. I am so glad to read you are taking the "strengthen" approach to back trouble.
Have you tried cooking with your Almond flour yet? Also, you may want to check out Chestnut flour. Apparently it is low in fat, high in carbohydrates, but gluten free.
Yeah, I think strengthening is really the prime desired path.
I used almond meal (all I had at the time was "meal", I later ordered "blanched almond flour") for batter on fish and chicken and I made some Blueberry Banana muffins from the almond flour cookbook. I'm not super crazy about banana flavor, but my gf wants me to make them again so I guess they were alright. :)
I plan to make something over the holidays with my new blanched almond flour as it's supposed to be a much finer grain. So maybe some pancakes or something else to test out the granularity, or maybe I'll just make the muffins again for her. As for the taste, I don't mind it. So, I think I'm off to the races with the whole not-wheat-flour thing and it will probably come in the most handy for breading chicken and fish, etc.
I'll look into Chestnut flour. Always good to have some variation and options on hand. Thanks
Post a Comment