2010-11-27

New BJJ books for vacay


So, between the laying on the beach and the traveling time I figured I needed a good sampling of reading materials. I hit the bookstore, and with some quick internet hits to slideyfoot's reviews I purchased:
(the links are to slideyfoot's reviews)
The Guard (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Details and Techniques)
and
Passing the Guard: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Details and Techniques: Volume 1
So, thanks for the good reviews as always. They helped me make the purchasing decision to put out over $70 for both books. But I won't be without a jits fix.

I also decided to get a classic Sci-Fi book:
Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation by Asimov
I know, I know, I am a software engineer and Sci-Fi fan and have come this long without reading Asimov. Hey, I did read all 53 Dune novels and I own all BSG on DVD so back off. ;) This is a good size book for the beach. So, now that I will be plenty mentally stimulated I think I'm ready to go.

Also looking at taking the next PADI cert, Advanced Open Water Diver.

8 comments:

Deborah Clem said...

St Croix? I am appropriately jealous. If you are looking for some decent fiction, I can recommend "The Company" by Robert Littell.

Lynntropy said...

Sweet, I love CIA/spy stuff. Thx :)
Reminded me vaguely of another novel I love:
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Josh Kruschke said...

Authors Jim Butcher & Peter F. Hamilton are my current fav's. Butcher's series "The Dresden Files" is about a modern day wizard living in Chicago. Hamilton is just realy good Sci-Fi that makes you think.

A.D. McClish said...

Right now, I'm reading "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro. It's ok. Entertaining, at least. Have a good trip!!

Lynntropy said...

I LOVE that this post became a book club...lol.

@Dagney -I ordered "The Company", but will miss it in time for St. Croix.

@Joshkie -Looks like The Dresden Files takes place in Chicago, my old town. Sounds like fun.

@A.D. -Vampires running rampant in NYC hits an interest nerve. I did undergo the requisite vampire novel phase many years ago which coincided with my "The Cure" - "Disintegration" phase. Yes, "Disintegration" just had its 20th anniversary. Wow, just wow.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

slideyfoot said...

Ooo, various cool things to comment on. First, always awesome to hear that my reviews were of help.

Second, I keep meaning to read Dune because I loved the film and my mother (a HUGE sci-fi and fantasy fan) has bookshelves laden with Frank Herbert, but for some reason I've never got round to it.

Third, hooray for The Cure! Especially that album, though my favourite is probably still The Head on the Door. Shame they didn't manage to keep up their "we're not goth, honest" line, as it led to rather substandard recent stuff, like the horribly named Bloodflowers. Yeah, definitely not goth. Right. ;p

Fourth, in terms of book suggestions, as much as I adore fantasy and sci-fi, I'm also fond of non-fiction. Have you read any of the Oxford University Press 'A Very Short Introduction To' series? I just finished the one on Modern Art, which was very good, and started the one on Feminism. Excellent series.

Also in the non-fiction short books vein, this is awesome (despite the subject matter you might think is indicated by the title: really, very worth a read).

Megan said...

The Guard series is great. I've taken a break lately because, well, I've just got too much going on, but I love them both.

Lynntropy said...

@Dagney - I started "The Company" last night.

@slidey - Dune is so large you'll need plenty of downtime. It can be slow, but when I was younger I had plenty of time on my hands. So the love for Dune has just persisted.
'A Very Short Introduction To' sounds very cool for those of us with serious time management issues.
Thanks again for the review on the Guard series.

@Megan - Yeah, I'm enjoying how they are basically mirror images of each other. Very cool.